Saturday, May 3, 2008

Something Silly This Way Comes


So this morning, Debra and I watched Tarzan the Ape Man, which was made in 1932 and starred Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan. For some reason, those old Tarzan movies only look right on Saturday.

Anyway, various characters in the film, including Tarzan once he most amazingly learned a few English words, kept saying "Jane, Jane."

Every time they did, I thought of the line that George Jetson uttered during the
closing credits of The Jetsons as the dog-walker treadmill thing went haywire: "Jane, stop this crazy thing!"


And that made me think of the poem recited by Mike Myers' character Charlie in So I Married An Axe Murderer (a true classic, by the way): "Jane, stop this crazy thing...called life!"

Which leads to my own version of string theory: every silly thought in your brain is connected to every other silly thought by some kind of string.

Were it not for copyright infringement issues, I'd call it silly string.

No comments: