Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Prayer for Tuesday, December 5, 2010

Guide my steps, O Lord, this day.

Sometimes I will step backwards, trying to retreat or to escape, driven back by guilt or pushed back by fear or compelled back by failure or nudged back by fatigue, perhaps fleeing the light that reveals more of the way forward than I want to accept or that reveals more of me than I want to face, maybe preferring the darkness to the light--when I step backwards, O Lord, guide my steps, whether or not I can see my way clearly.

Sometimes I will stand still, trying to comprehend where I am, attempting to understand how I got there, perhaps unsure which way to go, maybe afraid to go any way at all, at times needing the courage to step into the darkness, at other times needing the strength to step into the light--when I stand still, O Lord, guide my steps, whether or not I can see my way clearly.

Sometimes I will move forward, trying to find my way, groping in the darkness, trying to follow the light that at times seems so very dim, or trying to avoid the light that at times seems so very bright--when I move forward, O Lord, guide my steps, whether or not I can see my way clearly.

Guide my steps, O Lord, this day.

Amen.

No comments: