Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New Advent Hymns

Some of the things that make planning Advent worship difficult, particularly in traditions that don't have a long history of observing Advent, are that (1) there are few well-known Advent songs and (2) it's hard to teach a congregation new ones when they only sing them every 12 months.

No doubt the time will come when more of our existing Advent hymns get into our memories like our Christmas songs have.

In the meantime, though, it occurred to me that one thing we could do to address the situation would be to have Advent texts set to familiar Christmas music. So I have undertaken a project to do just that.

My first effort is called Our Savior Comes which is sung to the tune ANTIOCH (the tune to Joy to the World).

If you would like to receive the words so you can try the hymn out, send me an email at ruffinml@gmail.com and I'll reply with the text.

Advent blessings to you!

No comments: