Monday, October 1, 2007

Isn't It Ironic...Don't You Think?

OK, let me be very clear here: I am no fan of abortion (I doubt that few people, even those who are pro-choice, could be characterized that way, anyhow). I have tentatively staked out my position on that issue before in the aftermath of my participation in a forum on the subject at the Medical College of Georgia in February 2007. In brief, while I believe that every effort should be made to reduce the use of elective abortions for birth control purposes, I do believe that the procedure must remain available for valid medical reasons.

Pro-Life or Right to Life folks hold some high moral ground in this debate. But more moderate types correctly point out that legislative or constitutional efforts to eliminate or limit abortion don't address all the pertinent issues. In particular, it seems to me, a holistic "pro-life" position should take into account the quality of life of children after they are born. We should be as interested in the lives of the children who are born as we are in the lives of those who have not yet been born.

With those thoughts in mind, and with all due respect, I couldn't help but note the irony in the flyer promoting the upcoming Choose Life Convention 2007 to be held in Atlanta. You can view the flyer here. Look closely at the left hand column right under "Lunch will be provided."

To quote the theologian Alanis Morissette: "Isn't it ironic--don't you think?"

No comments: