Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pray for Antioch Baptist Church

The nearly 200 year old sanctuary of the Antioch Baptist Church, located about half-way between Barnesville and Yatesville, Georgia (in fact, the church campus straddles the Lamar and Upson County lines), was gutted by fire on Wednesday, June 10.

While not the church of my upbringing, it is the home church of many a Ruffin; several of my relatives, including my grandparents, are buried in the church cemetery.

Please pray for pastor Dr. Jeff Morgan and the Antioch Church family as they deal with and bear witness in the midst of this great loss.

To read more about the fire and to see pictures, visit the website of the Barnesville Herald Gazette.

1 comment:

gina said...

Michael, Thanks for the prayer requests for Antioch.
It WAS the Church of my upbringing until the teen age years when we joined FBC in Barnesville. My parents were married there, I was baptized there (in the woods; in a cold spring fed pool!), and my grandparents' funerals were in that Church and they too are buried in that cemetery. Of course the Church will rebuild, but it was sad to lose a building that held so many memories for me and my family.